Thursday, December 15, 2011

Too Pretty

I have never heard anyone say, "she's too pretty to be Jewish," ; "he's too good looking to be black," or white, or any other kind of person, but I have heard "she's too pretty to be gay" any number of times.  Isn't that interesting? And it's not just girls. I've heard "he's too pretty to be gay" too... Why is that?  The first thing Mimi's mother articulated after really understanding that her daughter was gay, was, "but you're so pretty..." In fact with Mimi, as well as relationships I've had in the past, people are always shocked at how pretty my girlfriend is when they finally meet her...

It took me a while to realize that it isn't that people don't think I deserve someone pretty, or could attract someone pretty, people just genuinely don't think lesbians are pretty. I find that kind of hurtful. And kind of confusing... if pretty people are any number of other things (white/black/Asian/Jewish/Hispanic and so on and so on) why wouldn't they be gay?  Do only ugly people like women? I certainly hope not.  It wouldn't indicate anything good for the world's female population.  Or are women settling?  Like, if I could have a man I would, but since I can't, I guess I'll date some other ugly chick instead?

I will have you know that gay people, as with all other people groups, are comprised of the full spectrum of humanity:  we are jack asses, and sweet hearts, beauty queens, and plain Janes, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, religious, atheistic, and so on and so on.  I hate to frighten anyone hoping to be able to pick out the gays at a distance, but not so much.  There is no too pretty, just people.

No comments:

Post a Comment