Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Importance of PRIDE

I wanted to take a moment as PRIDE festivals sweep the nation, and talk about what PRIDE does for us- gay and straight people alike.  (For those of you who don't know, a Pride event, is a celebration of LGBT individuals and their allies, normally featuring many rainbows, drag queens, information booths, and lots of glitter :). ) From my personal perspective, my first Pride event was huge.  I had never seen so many gay people in one place, or probably at all... ever.  It was eye-opening to see so many other gay people, and in Indiana of all places.  There were people who looked like me- in relationships with people who I might want to be with, with kids, pets, families... and so many people who looked nothing like me- and yet didn't have any problem whatsover with me, or my "gayness."  A few years later, this PRIDE meant more than that.  It meant a place where my friends, a straight couple, and myself and Mimi (a gay couple) could go together... and be equally in love, and spontaneously affectionate, and not have to worry about catching a side glance, or a head-on glare, or worse... no worry at all.  It was great.  I held Mimi's hand nearly the whole time, even occasionally sharing a kiss or two, and not once were we judged.  It was great.

On a broader scale, Pride is important because it tells a community, of gay and straight people alike, that the LGBT and ally community exists- on a large scale.  (Without knowing the exact numbers, I would guess that PRIDE this year was maybe twice the size of the first time I went, three years ago.)  To the maybe, or maybe not, supportive outside crowd it challenges common (mis)conceptions.  And to the LGBT persons inside or outside the event... it means a lot. It means there are other people like you, and other people not like you- who still like you. More to the point, it shows you that some of them are happy. Just as I was blown away to see happy lesbian couples with kids... so, I think, are other LGBT out there, who need to know there is life "this way."

Most importantly, perhaps, is the mission to continue to enlighten and reeducate.  Without events such as PRIDE, maybe people like "us" would slip to the background, or fail to have a public presence or face.  And without a face... with just a label, it's so much easier to hate. Sure, you can hate the homosexual, but can you hate me, and my girlfriend, and our friends? Who all in all are really just good kids, who are doing our best to make life, and love, and all that work? I don't know, maybe you can, but I'm going to guess it's harder.  I wonder how many people at the Apostolic Truth Tabernacle over in Greensburg, IN have met a "homosexual"? I'm going to guess none that they've acknowledged.  Because this kind of hatred... has to be ignorant. If it isn't ignorant... if it's calculated... we're headed for terrifying places.

If you haven't seen the video already, check out the maybe 5 year old Indiana boy, singing an anti-gay song to a cheering congregation here.

But I don't want to leave this on a harsh note. Pride is serving a great purpose, and it's a heck of a lot of fun to boot.  I'm a little toastier than I was before I went, but otherwise no worse for wear, and Mimi and I have shared something really great- a glimpse at a future. Which can be hard for people like "us" to come by on occasion.

With love, pride, and no shame.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment